I just had my first couple of pods malfunction tonight. They were right next to one another in the first box of 10 pods I opened last Monday. I changed a pod this evening at about 5:30 and was running high at 8:30. I changed to a new pod at 8:35 and was STILL running high at 11:30. I changed to a third pod, and now my sugars are finally coming down.
I cannulas were straight, but I did notice that while each pod was “priming” that it didn’t drip any insulin. When I was being trained, the nurse educator let me know that while each pod is priming, a couple drops of insulin are pushed out just to make sure there isn’t any air in the system. I have taken to cleaning those drops up with a q-tip, so that there isn’t extra moisture in it. I didn’t see either of the new pods push out insulin. Maybe that should have been a red flag.
The second thing I did wrong was toss both of the pods into my pod receptacle. I should have set them aside because Insulet wants to know what went wrong. After speaking on the phone with a customer service rep named David, he let me know that I should keep the malfunctioning pods so I can send them in for inspection.
Insulet is going to replace the two doofy pods, but I feel kind of bad that I didn’t save them. I don’t want Insulet to think I’m lying just to get some free pods. After reading some testimonials online, I realize that this problem isn’t unique to me. Pods malfunction. Oh well. Some people wrote that they changed endocrinologists because their doctors wouldn’t prescribe the OmniPod system–that too many things went wrong with it. Hmm.
I’m feeling a little nervous and disconcerted now. I had some pretty nice blood sugars dosing with pens just before I got the pump. Now everything feels upside down again. At first my sugars were running really low (week 1), now they’re running rather high (week 2). It’s going to take some tinkering to get me back to those perfect 100s.