I haven’t written in a while. Things have been pretty typical, and spring has finally sprung in Minnesota.

I’ve been going to Crossfit South Metro for 3 months now. I feel great!

One of the newest members asked me what kinds of changes I noticed in my body since I started. I was honest with her in that I haven’t lost any weight. I’ve been weighing myself pretty regularly, and nothing has changed on the scale. On any given day, I still weigh between 188-193. I told her that I’m sure I have to be gaining muscle and losing fat, because I think I look different. My jeans fit the same way, although my thighs are getting muscly because of all of the squat movements we do.

The biggest and most visible change is in my arms. I have arm muscles! I used to be a pretty strong kid: climbing trees, doing gymnastics type stuff on the monkey bars, and traveling through the (very) amateur arm wrestling circuit (in elementary school and early middle school). In 7th and 8th grade, I was known to be able to beat numerous boys in arm wrestling competitions during homeroom.

It’s good to have my arms back! I still can’t do a strict or kipping pull-up without a band, but I check about once a week just to make sure. My goal is to get there in a year. That means pushing myself to use thinner bands when we do pull-ups, and to lift heavy on press-type weight lifting movements!

Diabetes wise, things are good. I should say really good. I have been going low sometimes before, during, or after my workouts, but I always have juice ready. Since crossfit is so unpredictable, I don’t think making basal adjustments will ever be a perfect solution. I just have to be vigilant. I test before I leave, I test right after we finish, and I test 2 hours after I finish. I also usually eat a piece of fruit when I get home without bolusing, and that seems to help.

On Thursday morning of last week, I woke up in the middle of the night feeling like a truck had hit me. I knew something wasn’t right, so I tested my sugar. It was 380. I can remember a time when I didn’t feel anything when I was 380. It must have been like that for an extended period of time. The pod wasn’t alarming, so I gave myself a correction dose, but noticed pretty quickly that the cannula had pulled out. I threw on another pod, and gave another correction, and went back to bed. I still felt pretty lousy in the morning, and my sugar had only come down to 276. It took a good portion of the day for me to get back to normal.

The OmniPod system isn’t perfect, but neither is any insulin pump. I really love that I don’t have to deal with tubing. In the last week, I’ve had two people ask me about the pod I was wearing on my arm. It’s fun to tell people about it. I think the people asking are always way more embarrassed about their curiosity than I have ever been about telling them about it. Because I am zero percent embarrassed to tell people about it.

They’re always impressed after I tell them! Or they do a great job of faking it!

5 thoughts on “Haven’t”

  1. At first I thought it was a nicotine patch, but after a second look I decided it was too big. ๐Ÿ™‚

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s